Almost the Magic Metre!

96cm!!!! so close yet so far!

The scene was set for a simple boating trip and the main aim was to get my mate Kev his first Barramundi. He has come close a couple times but managed to drop a few. We succeeded in getting kev his first this day but before that happened, a moment of pure joy. 


Kev's first Barra


I was fishing an unknown snag. This meaning I hadn't fished it before and wasn't sure if there were any fish on it. a couple casts in and boom! a hit from a good sized barra and I handed the rod over to Kev so he could land it. I reckon this fish was in the 75cm range. unfortunately the hooks hadn't been set all that well and after a jump the Barra spat the Lure.

Not to be deterred I threw the lure back into the same area of the snag. I was not really paying attention not thinking there would e another fish there when all of a sudden it felt like a freight train was on the end of my line. My drag was set fairly hard and line was just peeling off my Daiwa Tatula HD baitcaster reel, so i started to thumb the spool (the act of placing ones thumb on the spool of line to slow down the rate of line disappearing off the reel)

I thought it was a good sized fish and then i saw her (I say Her because after about 75-80cm Barra tend to turn into breeding females) it was a solid fish. I thought high 80cm mark.

96cm Beauty!!


I was a little concerned for the fish as a 1.8m shark had follwed the fish out of the snag. I didnt want to lose the fish to a scavenger so i pulled the fish in a bit quicker then i normally would have. I managed to get the fish into the net wielded by Kev. Got her into the boat and all measured up.
Lie detector mat



I couldn't believe my eyes when the Barra went 96cm. I had previously caught another fish at 91cm which was a personal Best but now a 96 was 5cm bigger. This time I managed to get a couple of decent photos as last time was at night and the flash was terrible. 

after a couple happy snaps the fish was released back into the water safely to fight another day. What an experience. I love fishing up here in the Territory, and I hope I get that metre plus fish soon



happy reading everyone! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Bathurst Island for the first time

Opening School Mass.

Xavier Catholic College - Where I work